Custom cabinets are more than just functional; they can be a reflection of your personal style and taste. One key element that significantly impacts the overall aesthetics and functionality of your custom cabinets is their hardware. Whether you’re looking to upgrade your existing cabinets or create your dream kitchen from scratch, understanding the many cabinet hardware options out there is essential.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know about cabinet hardware so you can make informed decisions that will elevate your custom cabinets.
Types of Cabinet Hardware
Each type of cabinet hardware serves its own specific purpose. Let’s take a look at some of the most common types:
The most basic and traditional type of cabinet hardware, knobs are single, rounded or flat pieces attached to the front of cabinet doors or drawers. They create a classic, timeless look that’s suitable for both vintage and contemporary design styles.
Cabinet handles, also known as pulls, are elongated pieces of hardware that allow you to open doors and drawers. They typically have a sleek, modern design and come in many varieties, including cup pulls, bar pulls, and ring pulls.
Hinges are vital for the functionality of your cabinet doors, allowing them to pivot and open smoothly. Concealed hinges are hidden from view when the cabinet doors are closed, creating a clean and seamless appearance, while exposed hinges add an additional decorative touch.
Latches and Catches
Magnetic catches and touch latches are used to keep cabinet doors closed securely, offering convenience and ease of use.
Also known as drawer runners, drawer slides are essential for smooth drawer operation. Soft-close slides ensure your drawers close gently and quietly.
Materials and Finishes
Cabinet hardware is available in a wide variety of materials and finishes, so you’re sure to find something that suits your individual needs and style preferences. Your choice of hardware can dramatically impact the overall aesthetics of your cabinets. Some popular options include:
- Stainless steel: Because of its durability and resistance to corrosion, stainless steel is a popular choice. It’s an especially good option for contemporary and industrial-style kitchens due to its sleek, modern appearance.
- Brass: Hardware made of brass provides classic warmth and elegance, adding a timeless touch to both traditional and transitional designs.
- Nickel: Nickel hardware creates a clean, polished appearance, which makes it a versatile option that complements many different cabinet styles.
- Antique finishes: If you want to create a rustic or vintage look, consider hardware with antique finishes such as aged pewter or oil-rubbed bronze.
- Crystal and glass: For a touch of luxury and sparkle, try crystal or glass cabinet hardware. These materials are perfect for creating a sophisticated and glamorous look.
- Wood: Wooden hardware is the perfect complement for a country-style or farmhouse kitchen, adding warmth and texture to your cabinets.
Cabinet Hardware Placement
The placement of your hardware significantly impacts both the functionality and aesthetics of your cabinets. To create a cohesive look, make sure the hardware placement is consistent across all the cabinets within a given space.
For upper cabinets, the hardware is usually attached about 2.5 to 3 inches from the lower corner of the door to ensure it’s easily accessible. On lower cabinets, it’s placed in a similar position on the upper corner of the door.
It’s common to place knobs on cabinet doors and pulls on drawers. No matter how you choose to use them, they should be installed at a comfortable height and location to ensure easy access.
When you’re considering your budget for custom cabinets, don’t forget to factor in the price of hardware. Keep in mind that cabinet hardware is an investment in the long-term functionality and appeal of your cabinets.
Cabinet hardware comes in a wide range of prices. While high-end hardware can be a luxurious addition to your home, there are also more affordable options that still provide excellent quality and similar aesthetics. How much money you spend on hardware is up to you.
Create the Custom Cabinets of Your Dreams
Cabinet hardware may seem like a small, insignificant detail, but it really goes a long way in helping you create the kitchen, bathroom, office, or laundry room you’ve always wanted. Whether you’re going for a modern, vintage, classic, or rustic look, Out of the Woods has custom cabinet solutions that can make your dream a reality. Choose from our wide array of colors, materials, finishes, and accessories to create the perfect cabinets for your home.